Thursday, October 1, 2009

Modified SM57

So I barely had my SM57's for an hour and I had already cut one to pieces...

Here's a rundown of what I did. I melted the hot glue that holds in the transformer by sitting on top of a steaming kettle. I pulled it out, cleaned the glue up, and cut the two end pieces of the aluminum body off with a rotary tool. It took a while due to the XLR side being so thick. I resoldered the XLR connector directly to the + and - on the mic then taped the freshly cut pieces together. If I like the modded mic I will JB weld the two pieces together to make it look nicer. Ugly electrical tape will have to suffice for now though.




I made it smaller so it could fit on a snare drum clamp and not look too huge. Also the smaller the mic is the less chance there is that its going to get hit with a drumstick. It sits a little higher than I would like so I am going to go on the hunt for a different clamp.

Without the transformer, the mic is supposed to be 10dB quieter and have more lows and mids. We'll see when I use it tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. So you did get those drums eh? You know they'll still work if you clean 'em , right? :-D

    ReplyDelete