Monday, September 14, 2009

Subkick in Action

Well I finally tried out my Subkick! I tried it out at the WasagaDome. Probably not the best place to try it out. The acoustics were FAR from good. It's an echo chamber. Its a big metal and plastic dome that reflects every bit of sound made within its walls. It was weird. I could hear the conversations of people across the dome perfectly. If you stand in the middle and talk, I swear it makes you want to fall over. It sounds like your talking behind yourself! The truss structure seemed a little out of place too. Here's a pic of The Trews soundchecking in the dome of doom.



I wasnt overly impressed with the performance of the subkick. It seemed to lack a lot of the lows I was hoping for. I am going to try and find a bigger speaker, and mount it differently. I think the mic stand I was using may have had a little too much movement/play in it which was taking away some of the punch of the speaker.

It was neat to try it out at Wasaga because Tod Cutler (Sound and Tour Manager for The Trews) was using his homemade Subkick that night too. He was the one who inspired me to make my own subkick actually. His mounting system was far more solid than mine, and naturally his setup sounded significantly better than mine as well. He was telling me that this is his second creation. His first one actually got stolen, and he said his first one sounded better than his current one.


I am going to make a totally new Subkick when I get the time and mount it properly. Eventually I would like to mount one inside the kick drum and test that out.

Stay tuned my fellow sound geeks!

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment