Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Homemade "Subkick"

Ever seen the Yamaha Subkick? It's basically a speaker that you use as a microphone on a kick drum. Because the diaphram is so large (6.5") it produces a LOT of low end signal. Way more than most microphones can produce. The only turnoff for me is the $400+ pricetag. I however made my own for the lovely cost of $20.
I have seen some different homemade and authentic "Subkicks" in my travels and they were all pretty much the same. There are some very impressive and complex versions like the one HERE, but I decided to follow the KISS rule and keep is super simple. I went to a local pawn shop and bought an old car audio 6.5" subwoofer. I then took an XLR cable and reverse soldered + and - wires onto the leads on the speaker. I also have a phase reverse cable for it just in case I have phasing issues. In the future I may make a couple attenuators/PAD's for it as well. The only thing I have to conjure up now is some way of mounting it. I'll keep you updated...






2 comments:

  1. Find a crappy old rack tom to put it in. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would but I want it to be as compact as possible, and not to top heavy...

    ReplyDelete