Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Zoom H4n

I just picked up my new Zoom H4n Handheld recorder. Its the newer better version of their already successful Zoom H4.

After having my old recorder stolen in Montreal a few months ago, I decided to buy a new one. I heard rumours a while ago that a better version would be available, and I'm glad I waited. The new recorder boasts plenty of better features, at a cheaper price than I paid for my first H4!

The biggest improvement in the H4n is its ability to simultaneously record with using both its built in stereo microphones, as well as its 2 XLR or 1/4" inputs. That means I can record a live show at the sound board and all in one shot be able to record the room and sound system, as well as a board mix. Awesome.

The other feature that I like is its ability to be used as an external sound card. With 2 available inputs, I am able to potentially use the H4n to set up a Smaart Live rig for Real Time Analysis (RTA) of sound systems!

Some other improvements are a better SD card slot for easier removal without worrying about the batteries coming out, a stamina feature for longer battery life, and a variable mic degree pattern to change from 90 degrees to 120 degrees. It also has a built in speaker for quick reference, and a sturdy case which will definitely help when its bouncing around in my bag.

I've barely scratched the surface on the H4n's abilities but you can go to the official site HERE and see check it all out.

3 comments:

  1. Have you used it as an RTA yet? is it a clean, no-colour input?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Matt you SO HELPFUL!!! Love you man

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent used it as a RTA yet no. I am going to contact Zoom and see if the H4n has a flat enough spectrum to use smaart with.

    ReplyDelete