Saturday, July 25, 2009

K-Array

Ever seen/heard of the K-Array? Its a line array style speaker system that is super thin and totally flat. I stumbled across some pictures of these online and I had to investigate further!

I decided to take a look at K-Array's larger system, the KH4. Each speaker cabinet has a dimension of 44" x 23.62" x 6.29" and weighs 103.6 lbs. In
comparison, LAcoustics largest cabinet, the V-DOSC, weighs 238 lbs and measures 51 x 17 x 22
inches. Take note that I am in no way comparing the audio quality of the two systems, just weight and size. I can't comment on that until I have actually heard the K-Array system personally.

The website states the following:

"The KH4 use twelve 8" inches cone drivers for low-mid frequencies with 2.5" voice coil, powered by six power amplifier channels. The mid-high frequencies section use five 1.75" voice coil compression drivers, that drive 1"x4" constant directivity waveguides. The drivers form an array exactly in the centre of the speaker, a mechanical system can perform different vertical coverage, from 7° to 37° on each KH4."

Wait a second. Thats a lot of speakers crammed into a large (thin) box. I dont really know how to feel about that. Im going to be honest though, as soon as I read the "twelve 8 inch cone drivers" part I instantly got reminded of the old Bose cabinets that didnt seem to stay popular for very long due to thier crappy sound quality. Once again I cant really give any positive or negative opinions about the K-Array system until I have actually HEARD it, I am just expresssing some thoughts.

The K-Array is far more popular in Europe than here in Canada so until I score a sweet tour across the pond, I'll have to wait and see if these systems become more popular in North America. My only hope is that I can sneak a listen to the P.A. at a trade show in the near future, or stumble upon a K-Array rig in my travels.

I really know nothing about this whole setup to be honest. Some would say I should really research this system before making a blog about it but anybody can go to thier website themselves and look it up, and the only other way is to call the company or talk to other Engineers who have heard and worked with K-Array systems. Unfortunately at this point in my career I dont know many european sound engineers so I am hoping to get some e-mails from people around the world to give me thier opinions! That way I can post more blogs and hopefully get a good idea about the K-Array system, and where it lays in the Line-Array hierarchy. So send me an email at matt@nosoundcheck.com and let me know!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I performed recently at a Sennheiser demo in Atlantic City New Jersey.
    They were doing an A/B demo of the k-Array Red Line system vs. a traditional concert PA.

    As I walked in to the empty 1500 seat arena, I was taken by the clear fat sound coming from the stage area.

    I Talked to the FOH engineer who shocked me by pointing to the stage at a pair of sticks on top what looked like mini subwoofers. One stage lef and another stage right.

    Disbelief is the only word I can give. I thought is was from the array hanging over the stage and the flanking subs on the floor beside the stage...

    Truly exceptional for the size and comparative sound.

    If you ever get ta chance to hear this system, prepare to be amazed!

    The stage monitors were unbelievable as well.
    If I had the money today, it would be arriving on my door step as soon as possible. No kidding.

    I am not endorsed by or any way affiliated with either K-Array nor Sennheiser. Just a drummer who got his head turned around by this amazing system.

    ReplyDelete